Earthquake Today Latest Updates: The seismic event occurred at a profound depth of 10 kilometers, unfolding precisely at a latitude of 28.84 degrees North and a longitude of 82.19 degrees East.
Earthquake Today Latest Updates: A substantial earthquake of 6.4 magnitudes struck the Lamidanda region in Nepal’s Jajarkot district. Its tremors reverberated across the Delhi-NCR area during the nocturnal hours of Friday.
Residents emerged from their dwellings as a noticeable seismic disturbance was sensed in Lucknow, reflecting a state of moderate tremors. (Hindustan Times)
The earthquake’s epicenter lay at a depth of 10 kilometers, as officially confirmed by the National Center for Seismology (NCS). It transpired at a latitude of 28.84 degrees North and a longitude of 82.19 degrees East. Remarkably, this marks the third instance within a month wherein Nepal has borne the brunt of formidable seismic activity.
Please follow the ongoing developments here:
- Nepal’s Prime Minister, Pushpa Kamal Dahal, expressed profound grief over the human and material devastation brought about by the earthquake in Ramidanda, Jajarkot, transpiring at 11:47 on the evening of Friday. He swiftly initiated the mobilization of all three security agencies for the immediate rescue and relief of the injured. (Nepal PMO tweets)
- Curiously, local authorities find themselves unable to establish contact with the Jajarkot village, which serves as the epicenter and is home to a populace of 190,000.
- Namaraj Bhattarai, a police official, informed Reuters, “Rescue and search teams encounter the arduous task of clearing roads obstructed by arid landslides resulting from the seismic upheaval in order to reach the afflicted areas.”
- Within the precincts of the Jajarkot district, 17 individuals have been officially recorded as deceased, according to Harish Chandra Sharma, an administrative official representing the government. (AP)
- Regrettably, the earthquake exacted a toll of at least 20 lives within Nepal’s Rukum district, where numerous abodes lay in ruin. This disconcerting revelation was articulated by police official Narvaraj Bhattarai to AP.
- Communications with a multitude of villages in Nepal have been severed, as per reports filed by AP.
- As reported by Reuters, authorities have substantiated the loss of life endured by no less than 69 individuals, with dozens more suffering injuries in Nepal’s mountainous northwestern regions. Regrettably, the casualty count is anticipated to surge.
- Suresh Sunar, an official representing the Jajarkot district, disclosed to Reuters that at least 20 people have sustained injuries and have been expedited to a medical facility. He expounded, “I currently find myself exposed to the elements. We are collating information; however, the extreme cold and the nocturnal hour are impeding the acquisition of data from remote regions. We have deployed rescue personnel.”
- Santosh Rokka, a police official, conveyed to Reuters, “Structures have succumbed to the force of the earthquake, prompting residents to hastily evacuate their residences. I am currently amidst a throng of terrified inhabitants as we endeavor to ascertain the extent of the damage.”
- In close proximity to the earthquake’s epicenter in the Jajarkot district, a high-ranking official, Suresh Sunar, conveyed to Reuters, “This seismic event was of significant magnitude. We have received reports of structural harm. Thus far, there have been no accounts of human casualties. Both the police and the military have been promptly mobilized.”
- A resident of Delhi recounted to ANI, “I was reclined on my bed when the bed commenced to oscillate. I promptly alerted my sister, who was slumbering beside me. As we ventured onto the balcony, a cacophony emanated from the surroundings.”
- According to the news agency PTI, the earthquake’s epicenter lay approximately 227 kilometers to the north of Ayodhya and 331 kilometers to the west-northwest of Kathmandu.
- A resident of Gurugram informed PTI, “The tremors endured for a considerable duration, coinciding with our television viewing and weekend relaxation.”
- A resident of Delhi relayed to ANI, “It required some time to fully grasp the nature of the occurrence.”
- Another resident from Patna expounded, “I was in a supine position when the bed commenced to vibrate, and I observed even the ceiling fan was in motion, prompting me to exit my domicile.”An individual residing in Patna informed ANI, “I was recumbent, and my bed began quivering, compelling me to vacate my residence.”
- A resident of Noida informed ANI, “I was engrossed in television viewing when I experienced a sudden sensation of dizziness. Subsequently, I observed news of an earthquake on the television, prompting me to hastily vacate my dwelling.”
- In addition to being felt in Lucknow and Noida, the tremors also resonated in Uttar Pradesh, as reported by news agency ANI. Bihar’s Patna was not spared either.
- The National Center for Seismology conveyed in a post that a seismic event of 6.4 magnitudes transpired in Nepal at 11:32 on Friday.